Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Checking out the New Office

Is all of this stuff for me to play with?

My daddy is so cool... he makes me laugh!


This is Nick's desk where he does his work for Deloitte each day. Check out the big nerdy calculator - I think Nick was a little embarrassed by that one!

Nick's, welcome to the job, week two (I will try to relay this story the best I can)

The back ground: The Deloitte office is set up in sort of a square shape. In the middle of the square are larger offices with glass windows where the Partners and higher up people sit. On the outside closer to the windows are the cubicles for all the staff positions etc. (like Nick's desk) Some of the desks have filing cabinets in front of them...

Nick is working on a few projects passed down to him from people above him. As he finishes his sections of a case he takes it over to who gave it to him for review so it can be added back to the whole file. On Thursday Nick finished a file and was walking it over to Laura for review. Laura happens to have filing cabinets in front of her, so people tend to use it as a shelf to place things on while they talk. As Nick approached the drawers he leaned up against them to speak to her. After a minute or so he realizes his belt buckle is pushed into the filing drawer and has lodged itself there. He tried to move a little bit and get unstuck, but no use... he only had about a 1/2 inch leeway . He stared realizing that this was going to look awkward if he started moving to much. He told Laura that he was stuck. She didn't get it "you're stuck on a problem? You need help?" Nick, "No, I'm stuck to the filing cabinet." Laura, "What? You're kidding me..." All of a sudden the guy next to Laura catches on to what has happened and the two of them are busting up. Then "Joe-shmoe" turns the corner and sees the whole situation. He starts shouting to the whole office to come and see. He is gathering people from all over to check this out. People are whipping out their phones and taking pictures. Meanwhile Nick is sweating bullets. He honestly can't budge. He's tried every ones suggestions besides the "you may have to take your pants off" one. It's been about 10 minutes now with no success. One of the Partners in the office comes around the corner to see why no one is working and he can hear uncontrolled laughter. He takes one glance at Nick and everyone standing around and announces that he doesn't even want to know what's going on :o) Finally two of the guys get on either side of Nick and push down as hard as they can in order to pop out the buckle. Nick is free... but he has earned the name BUCKLE around the office.

*Side note... we had a fun time at Nick's office party on Friday. Everyone made sure to mention the Buckle incident, and we had a great laugh with the Partner, that didn't want to know what was going on. I guess Nick's professional career isn't over after all.

7 comments:

Kim said...

That was a great story--I'm sure it was even better for those that were there! It sounds like you guys are doing great. Spencer is getting so big, he's adorable!

Jenn said...

What a great way to break the ice at work!!! ha ha! I hope you are feeling settled in Boise! Spencer sure is a cutie!

lawtrix said...

Okay, we were laughing out loud. So I guess Nick's settling well into work...

And congrats on the house! (right? that's what we heard)

Maren said...

Nick, we are so proud of you!! Entering the "REAL" world, making money and everything! We're glad you found a way to make work more entertaining - for everyone!! Love you.

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't even believe it! How terrible Nick! I am sooo glad that you survived and were so brave. I might have entered into tears of embarrassment! :)

Unknown said...

hee hee! Nick I was laughing so hard. That is really funny. I bet it will totally be a blessing in the long run- you are now popular in the office, the partners are now on a personal level with you. You probably did that on purpose! j/k Hyeku emailed me the other day and told me that Peter is engaged. Good for him. We hope you guys are going well. Spencer is such a cutie and a perfect mix of you both (ok, more Nick, but the older he gets I can see more Jen in him.) What a doll! Isn't this such a fun age!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

How fun to go to work with dad, he has the cutest little face!